This will be my third year using this display. I was going to take a break from it this year, but I have already received requests to have it again! It does take some time to choose books, wrap them, and then come up with a catchy write-up so they will “date” the book. But in the end it is so worth it! I took bits and pieces from the Internet and then came up with what fit our library.
- Choose your books. I try to choose books that have not been checked out lately or are new, Also make sure you have a wide variety of genres.
- Create a spreadsheet or table to record your books in. Give each book a number.
- Wrap the books and number them according to your spreadsheet/table. (This helps on identifying the book and you can also check to see if the student has already checked the book out before.)
- Attach the Book Label to each wrapped book with the genre. I also give each book a catchy write-up to get the students to choose that specific book.
- Let students start checking out the books! I give each student a bookmark. They fill out the bookmark and give it back to me for a prize. I usually give sweet tarts, chocolate or some kind of Valentine candy. This year students have requested sour punch kids.
- Can only unwrap one book at a time
- They have to give the book at least 50 pages before returning it
- Lastly they fill out the bookmark to rate their “date” for a treat.
I have attached the rules, bookmark, and the display file to help you get this display up and going. Good luck!