I just finished week 1 of my Whole30 journey. Let me tell you….I am rocking it so far! My sweet craving attacks are little to none. Which is a big win for me! I am also loving the new recipes that I have been trying as well as tweaking to fit my family and their tastes. Biscuits and gravy are always a huge hit in our house. So I decided to give this gravy recipe a try. The original recipe can be found here.
Gluten/Dairy Free – Whole30 Approved Sausage Gravy
- 1 pound breakfast sausage (make sure there is no added sugar)
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 3 tablespoons fat of choice, if needed
- 2 tablespoons almond flour
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot
- 2 1/2-3 cups almond or cashew milk
- In a large skillet brown breakfast sausage over medium heat. Add the sage and fennel while it’s cooking.
- Add some fat to the pan if needed. I used of bacon fat. You’ll want about 3 tablespoons total. You can use coconut oil, ghee, bacon grease, or whatever your preferred fat is.
- Stir in the almond flour and arrowroot. Mix it well with the fat- still on medium heat.
- Stir in the milk and cook until sauce has thickened. Use a whisk if necessary.
This gravy can be served with Paleo biscuits which I have not tried yet, but it was delicious on skillet fried potatoes. Yum is all I can say!! Here is how I made the potatoes.
I ended up having to mix a little more arrowroot and almond milk together to get the gravy to set up. Also if you are used to fixing gravy with flour, cornstarch and milk… beware that this gravy will look different. As one of my friends said when I sent her the picture–it looks like dog food! Well it may not have looked white and creamy like regular gravy but it was delicious and I liked it better than the flour/milk gravy that I have grown up on!