Sweet potatoes and salsa with eggs are two of my favorite breakfast foods. So when I ran across this recipe at Paleo Running Momma, I knew that I would have to try it. She also has some other great recipes that I have tried during my first round of Whole30. So definitely check out her website!
A few changes I made to the recipe was that I added kale and mushrooms. I always try to add extra veggies if I can sneak it into my dishes. I finely chopped a cup or two of kale and added it to the dish when I added the sausage to cook. The mushrooms I diced and added with the peppers and onions. I also added taco seasoning that I make in large batches.
Nutritional yeast is a new product that I started using during my first round of Whole30. One of the foods that I missed was cheese. No dairy can be consumed during the Whole30, (which I came to find out when I added it back in that my body does not like dairy products!) I thought to myself – how can I not have any cheese for 30 days? Well thanks to nutritional yeast I was able to survive. Nutritional yeast is packed with lots of Vitamin B varieties such as B1, B2, B3, B6 and B12. Here is an article from the Whole Foods store that explains what nutritional yeast is. It gives dishes a cheese-like flavor and I regularly use it in my dishes now.
This dish turned out great!! Definitely one of my favorite breakfast casseroles! Luckily I had enough to eat the next day for breakfast.
- 3-4 medium sweet potatoes peeled and sliced
- 1-2 tbsp of ghee, coconut oil, avocado oil, or one of your choice
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 peppers diced – I used a red and orange
- 1 cup of diced mushrooms
- 1-2 cups of finely chopped kale
- 1 lb pork sausage
- 12 large eggs
- ⅓ cup coconut milk, full fat canned
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp taco seasoning (link)
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 cup salsa, (no sugar added, check ingredients)
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Slice sweet potatoes with a mandolin. You can also slice by hand. I used the thick slice blade. Grease a 9×13 baking dish with oil of your choice. Arrange the sweet potatoes in the bottom of the dish. Making sure to overlap. The sweet potatoes will shrink once cooked. Sprinkle with salt and bake for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes remove from oven and lower the heat to 400 degrees.
- While potatoes are roasting, heat a large skillet over med heat and add 1 tbsp of oil.
- Add the onions and cook for about 4-5 minutes, then add peppers and cook another 2-3 minutes,
- Add the kale and sausage and cook until the sausage is done, remove from heat and drain excess fat, if needed.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs well with coconut milk, nutritional yeast, taco seasoning and salt.
- Spread the sausage mixture and salsa over the sweet potatoes, Pour egg mixture over everything evenly.
- Bake at 400 for 30 minutes until center is set, allow to sit 5 minutes before cutting into squares and serving.