The original recipe called for ground chicken. I only had ground turkey on hand so I used that instead! I also had some kale on hand that needed to be used up, so I chopped some up very finely to add in the recipe. (I am always trying to sneak in some extra veggies when I can!) Here is the original recipe from Unbound Wellness. I am hoping to try her salmon patties next week sometime! These poppers were delicious! You could enjoy them so many ways! Dip them in guacamole, serve over zucchini noodles with marina sauce or just pop them into your mouth!
I made these on Sunday during my meal prepping for easy to grab lunches through the week. They will definitely be on my menu in the future!!
Turkey Sweet Potato Poppers
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 cups sweet potato, grated
- 2 tbsp coconut oil + 1 tsp for greasing the baking sheet
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 2 sprigs green onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup kale, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 400 F and lightly grease a baking sheet lined with parchment paper with coconut oil.
- Combine all of the ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Roll the mixture into small poppers about one inch in diameter (you’ll have about 20-22 poppers) and place them on the cooking sheet. I used a cookie scoop and then pressed them down on the pan.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, flip the poppers and then bake for another 10-15 minutes.
- If you would like them a bit crispier place them under the broiler for 1-2 minutes. Keep an eye out for them though so they do not burn.